[TR] Fell into a TR3a deal that I could not refuse

glemon at neb.rr.com glemon at neb.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 00:30:54 MDT 2018

I bought my TR250 without a title, I restored it then got it titled.  While I would be leary of buying a car without a title again,I would certainly consider it if the deal was good enough.  However, I would never restore one first and then see if I could get it titled

Seller said he could get a title for it, then flaked out.  I restored the car and took the bill of sale to get it titled, the local DMV hemmed and hawed and ultimately said I would have to go to the state DMV to get a bonded title.  Basically bond company guarantees value of the car if rightful owner comes forward.  You are still liable, but if car is gone and you are judgement proof they will pay

Anyway state DMV does a search on the VIN number, plus you have to send a letter to last owner of record, if any asking them to say they no longer own the car, my certified letter came back undeliverable, that was good enough for DMV, but they came up with another of it being registered in Alabama, which was enough for them to refuse to give me even a bonded title (as an aside I think the Alabama registration was an attempt by the seller to start the process of getting it titled, this was a few years back) Anyway a very nice lady from the Alabama DMV said they would not title a car so old and put that in an email to me.

I got the bond and with the returned certified letter and email from Alabama DMV they let me title the car.  The bond cost a couple hundred bucks, I think I valued the car a little low even for the time at $12,000 or something in the low teens, after a few years if nobody comes forward you get a regular title issued, buy you have to initiate it.

Have fun!

There may be better ways than bonded, but bonded does work, I believe it is available in most states.

Greg Lemon
TR250