[TR] to loom or not to loom...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 20 22:16:55 MDT 2018

Oddly enough, TS13571L is still wearing it's original loom, rotting fabric
and all.  Beyond repairing a few DPO-isms and adding some wires for new
features; it has been zero trouble.  That includes (for the past few years
now) running a 60 amp alternator through the original brown and brown/white
wires.

Cleaning the old oxide when making a solder connection is an extra step, but
I wouldn't describe it as a PITA by any means.  All it takes is a quick dip
in Tarn-X and it's ready to go.
Or, if you don't have a bottle of Tarn-X in your solder kit (why not?), a
few scrapes with a pocket knife will do:
https://imgur.com/xOQOV0W

BTW, the solder type bullets work fine for me.  I don't own one of those
expensive crimpers and I don't particularly trust crimps to make a durable
electrical connection.

Years ago, I worked for a company that sold and installed computer systems
on seismic survey ships.  A single installation would have hundreds of
crimped-on terminals; installed by trained technicians (who were required to
take periodic refresher courses), using expensive ratcheting crimp tools
(calibrated every year) and high quality terminals (not the junk at the
corner FLAPS).  The wiring was also inspected before it went out.  And every
single installation that I went out on had at least one bad connection.

-- Randall