[TR] Need tips/suggestions on adjusting the two stop screws on theshift lever on my TR4A.

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sun Aug 19 14:57:48 MDT 2018

Hi Randall,
Regarding the shift lever adjustment, the more I think about it, using
Loc-Tite would not really do much for the reason you state below. It was
just a thought I guess. I couldn't believe what a profound difference  could
be achieved in the shifting by adjusting  those two bolts! The action went
from no second gear to butter smooth in all 4 gears! Well, shifting the top
cover held in my bench vise anyway.

On the o-ring replacement, I am struggling to safely removing the tapered
bolts holding the shift forks to the shift rods. Using a 6-point 3/8" socket
on a short extension,  I broke the first pin I tried to remove. It sheared
off right at the transition from thread to pin although after examining the
break, there was a partial shear on the bolt from a previous removal.  I
have another top cover coming my way from Team Triumph tomorrow but would
like to hear about any suggestions on removing the broken pin on the cover I
have now although it looks like the bolt is NLA anyway.  Does anyone know of
a source for these bolts?  I am not sure if I should just forget about
addressing the possible oil leak on the cover coming from Team Triumph and
make a habit of checking the transmission fluid level more frequently?
It's not encouraging to hear that the o-rings being sold as replacements
don't seal very well. I would hate to go through all this only to still have
a leak. I read in the Buckeye Triumph transmission rebuild section on the
top cover renovation that the author recommended a Buna-N #112 which had a
1/2" ID, 11/16" OD and a 3/32 cross section so I ordered a box of 100 from
McMaster Carr. I'll let you guys know how they fit if I get that far. That
is if I decide to try and remove the shift forks!
Thanks for the suggestions Randall,
Dave Connitt