[TR] Does people remember me?- Paul Dorsey, '60 TR3A

gandcanderson at comcast.net gandcanderson at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 19:38:21 MDT 2018

Hello Paul,

I'm relatively new to this site as compared to many others but I do wish you luck with your restoration. As some have mentioned, covering your TR3A will trap moisture and encourage rust, hopefully it won't be too bad. For about 2-3 years many years ago I parked my TR2 outside in Iowa but did not have it covered beyond the convertible top and crappy side curtains from JC Whitney. I then moved the car into the garage when my parents sold their second car and moved it to Minnesota but again into a garage...plus two more moves but always into another garage.

A year ago I took my car to a body and paint guy who still has it. I knew there was some rust and bondo, but when he started digging into it, beyond the typical rust areas behind both of the front wheels, the inner and outer sills on both sides were nothing but rot along with some other areas along the bottom edge. Some of this rust was probably because the car lived at least some (I don't know much about the history of the car beyond that it came out of Illinois) of it's 19 years of life in Iowa and Illinois, but I'm thinking the few years sitting outside didn't do it any good either.

So, long story short, I would suggest taking a hard look at the inner sills on both side of the car. If these are full of rot you're in for a major project to replace them. Good luck and hopefully the inner sills are in good shape!

Glenn