[TR] TR4A head gasket, 87 mm cylinders

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Wed Sep 20 14:15:37 MDT 2017

I’m interested in the responses too as I recently suffered a head gasket failure around the intake shroud of #4 using a 91 mm Cometic (very similar to the Lucas new improved one) In my case the head is milled .090 using 87 mm liners. The old Payen style lasted 30 or more years until I did a valve job 4 years ago. The Cometic lasted 4 years until it failed. I’ve discovered some extenuating circumstances which may have caused my failure but I am interested in the responses, especially from those who have moved up to the 89 mm liners. How have you sealed the 89’s and or is it too early to report results? Also please indicate if you’ve milled the head and by how much.

I’ve discussed this with some very reputable Triumph performance folks in the last week and gotten some good input but would like to broaden the discussion.  Once we see some responses I’ll be pleased to share what I’ve discovered. Those who I’ve already discussed this with can chime in or not, I will include your advice but not who you are unless I have your permission. But I’d like to hear some input from others before I do that.

Regards,

Jerry Van Vlack aka JVV
66 TR4A