[TR] TR4A head gasket, 87 mm cylinders

asg123 at centurylink.net asg123 at centurylink.net
Wed Sep 20 11:51:47 MDT 2017

I have asked a similar question before but my mechanic and I are still undecided which rabbit hole to enter
Does anyone have experience with which head gaskets hold up best against blowing out around the combustion chambers? I see the stainless steel composite gaskets which claim to be the best. But, some people, including the tech support at BPNW, say that the OE copper gasket by Payen withstands high compression the best. How does the German made Payen copper gasket hold up compared to the Lucas OE type copper gasket? We had an OE copper head gasket blow out between cylinders #1 and #2 after only a few thousand miles. It was using 93 octane gas with the timing retarded a couple degrees to keep down spark knock, but it still dieseled on when we tried to shut it off. A solid copper head gasket from Gasket Works custom milled to drop the compression to 130psi fixed the spark knock and dieseling, but we had chronic problems with the oil and water weeping into each other no matter what sealants we tried. As always thanks for your responses. Arnold