[TR] [Fot] D Type Overdrive Actuator arm adjustment

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 15 09:36:15 MDT 2017

There were several different configurations of the D-type produced; and I
believe some parts interchange with A-type (which also came in several
different configurations).  Perhaps the unit you have originally came from
another car, or is a mixture of parts?

Anyway, my suggestion (and what I do) is to check the actual valve ball
movement when adjusting the solenoid.  I've had several A-types where the
cam & valve stem are worn enough to make the prescribed setting method
inaccurate.

IMO the ball needs to move at least .030" for long term reliability and
snappy shifts; although others have suggested as little as .010" to slow
down the engagement process.

The article at http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD4.htm
Is written for A-type, but the valve arrangement is similar.  The process
should be the same.

FWIW, here's a simple (and reversible) modification that IMO makes
adjustment much easier.  The custom nut in the foreground locks into the
operating lever, so doesn't have to be held while tightening the pinch bolt.
And the hex socket bolt is both easier to turn with one hand (while the
other is holding the solenoid plunger and lever), and easier to get tight
enough to keep the lever from slipping on the shaft in operation.

https://i.imgur.com/mMk04fs.jpg

On a TR3, it also makes it much easier to tighten the adjustment with the
unit installed and the gearbox cover in place.

-- Randall