[TR] D Type Overdrive Actuator arm adjustment

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Thu Sep 14 15:57:35 MDT 2017

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the operation of the actuator
arm on the D Type Overdrive.

The Haynes manual seems to imply that the actuator is engaged when the hole
in the brass arm aligns with the hole in the casing.  On the unit I am
working on, the normal (non engaged) position is right about that spot and
when the solenoid is engaged, it pulls that arm toward the rear of the car
and the spring action of the lever returns it to the case alignment position
when the solenoid disengages.

This appears to me to be just the opposite of what the Haynes manual is
saying.

When I got this unit, that actuator was frozen in place and I had to remove
the cap, spring and ball then work it back and forth several times to regain
a free movement.  But the movement is from that case alignment position
rearward with the spring returning it to that static position.

I am confused, so could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Joe

Sent from my HAL-9000