[TR] woodruff key is loose

Cliff Hansen cliff_hansen at outlook.com
Sat Nov 25 09:42:33 MST 2017

I’m installing a new water pump on my TR4A.  The pulley was supplied separately.  The slot on the pump shaft for the woodruff key measured 0.125” in width, the key itself is 0.122” in thickness.  The key fits snugly in the pulley slot but is loose enough on the pump shaft that I’ll never get the pulley installed – the pulley pushes the key out of the shaft slot.

Any advice here?  I’ve considered:

  *   Staking the round part of the key to expand it a bit.
  *   ‘gluing’ the key in the pump shaft using threadlocker or sticky gasket adhesive.
  *   Buying a 3/32 key and filing it down (groan).

I’m worried that the loose key will eventually wallow out the shaft on the pump and make it useless.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff