[TR] While we are discussing brakes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 14:54:21 MST 2017

> I have a mildly annoying problem with the brakes on my "76 TR6.  When I
> first depress the pedal, it is relatively firm, but I can feel it "going
> down" slowly.  If I release and immediately press the pedal, the pedal
> remains firm and does not have the same result.

Almost certainly the MC, IMO.  My first Stag had the same problem when I
bought it, and the MC eventually failed entirely!  Both cups were torn at
the base, so I'm guessing it just depended on how the cup came to rest
against the plunger side as to whether it leaked that time or not.

I also learned the hard way that the rear brakes alone won't stand up to
freeway driving for long.  Mine faded to uselessness fairly quickly and I
wound up sailing through an intersection while yanking on the handbrake as
hard as I could.  Fortunately no one was coming and I was able to finish the
trip to the shop to get the MC rebuilt; after a few minutes to regain my
composure!

Obviously, I would suggest getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild