[TR] TR-3 rear anti-sway bar

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Thu Nov 9 22:15:31 MST 2017

I have read a lot about the TR3's tendency to run out of suspension on the rear suspension when going through tight corners at speed, and if grossly excessive can actually lead to lifting the outside wheel and possibly result in rolling the car over.

After reading so many positive reviews regarding how adding a front sway bar to the TR3 dramatically improves the cars handling and that early TR4's came stock with a front sway bar, I am actively considering installing a front sway bar on my 1959 TR3, licensed as a 1960. However, I am thoroughly confused regarding any potential advantages of a rear sway bar which I have also been considering. There seem to be a lot of differing opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of a rear sway bar. If the rear sway bar eliminates the tendency of the rear end to "skip sideways in a high speed corner near the limits of adhesion", how would removing it improve the performance on a tight track where it's "more important to keep the wheel on the ground as much as possible". I have never raced a TR3, or any other four wheel vehicle on any kind of road course but have enjoyed high speed curvy roads and thought adding sway bars front and rear would improve my TR3's performance in tight corners, or curvy roads.

Does adding a rear sway bar cause too much weight to be applied to the outside wheel in really tight, high speed corners, leading to oversteer and maybe spinning out? Or, would that be more of an issue with a posi-traction rear end when you add a rear sway bar? TR3's do not normally have a posi-tration rear  end or a locked differential.

Not being picky or critical here. Just very confused. Hoping for some clarifying advice. Don't want to invest time and money on an option that is not going to be a benefit and may actually be a serious detriment.

Have any kinematic studies been published on how weight distribution and steering changes when adding a rear sway bar?

Sincerely,
Randall Reihing
'59 TR3A