[TR] TR4 & Bill Piggott alive and kicking

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Wed Nov 8 08:00:43 MST 2017

FWIW, I wasn't employed by Standard-Triumph when the TR4 was in production -
but later on. That said, it's highly likely the possibility of having a
veneered finish dash may have been fitted to later models as a
'non-standard' item for certain markets and a production option. For
example, the 4A was supplied as standard for the US market as a rigid rear
axle with IRS as a chargeable extra, while all other markets had IRS as
normal fitment.

Many enthusiasts are unaware that there were all sorts of options that could
be fitted in production that never appeared on the production fitted extras
list and as an example, my own GT6 Mk 2 came to me new with:

*	Servo assisted disc brakes on all four wheels
*	Leather seats
*	Walnut veneer dash
*	Long range fuel tank
*	Overdrive to the top three gears (not the top two) and with a
non-overdrive rear axle ratio. This made it incredibly long-legged and
enabled high speed cruising at very low engine revs. From memory, I don't
think the engine could pull more than 4,000 rpm in overdrive 4th - but it
was fun.

The Production Control Equipment code books were only issued internally and
this facilitated "those in the know" (mostly employees) to have their new
cars (supplied at a 15% employee discount) fitted with some very esoteric
extras that were not advertised to the dealer networks.

Jonmac