[TR] vehicle offers while driving a TR

wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Tue May 23 21:07:30 MDT 2017

Great stories, still looking here.

From: Triumphs [mailto:triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of TeriAnn J. Wakeman
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:25 AM
To: triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] vehicle offers while driving a TR

On 5/23/17 7:23 AM, Matt wrote:

Side note, am I the only one that has had multiple people stop you while driving a Triumph to say - "I have one of these in my yard, would you like to come get it?"

Almost free. I was driving my TR3 when someone came up to me and said he was downsizing and had a non running TR3 sitting in his garage that he would like to get rid of. I could have it for $300.

I trailered it home, replaced my seats with those in the other TR. Mine had aftermarket seat bottoms that were squishy and liked to pretend they were boat decking in a storm at sea. The other TR had like new original seats with factory leather. And I removed the hard top from the other TR and kept it. I then sold the TR3 of $3000 as a restoreable non running project car.

Another time while driving my TR3 someone offered me several boxes of free TR3 parts. He sold his TR3 to help finance a restoration of his non running DB5.

That's about it so far. I have yet to hit the jackpot like a co-worker at my first job. Back to 1967, when I was working at SRI, I had an openable window next to a parking area. A co-worker said he just picked up a used car with a bad charging circuit and could he run a extension cord out my window to a battery charger. So throughout the rest of the summer there was a dark blue DB3R sitting outside my window at work. He bought the racing Aston Martin at a Menlo Park garage sale for $200. A retired military father was upset that his son had moved to Canada instead of being drafted for Vietnam and was having a garage sale to sell off the possessions his son left behind. To the father it was an old used sports car his son purchased that didn't even run (dead battery). Then there was this Lotus 11 owner I talked to at Laguna Seca who found his Lotus sitting under a tree on a farm near Tracy, California. I guess you just need to be in the right place at the right time and keep your eyes open.

TeriAnn

--

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>
2 years to write and 38 years of travel and camping to learn what to write

Because the world beckons and life waits for no one