[TR] New One

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Mon May 15 06:15:21 MDT 2017

My dad had a 71 Bel Aire with a 350 V8.  After a bit over 100,000 miles it started to use oil, the tail pipe turned black and the valve gasket started to leak.  The leak I though I could fix so I bought some gaskets and pulled the cover.  A slug of oil rolled out.  All the drain holes were blocked with sludge.  I reamed them out with a screw driver, replaced the valve cover gaskets and we drove the car.  It stopped using oil and the tailpipe turned back to gray.

I agree with Randall.  Check your pushrod tubes.

Dave Massey