[TR] New One

Wbeech@flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Sun May 14 21:17:13 MDT 2017

Always ran VR1 20-50 when I was in Utah, plenty cold, no problems, good pressure.
Bill B

Sent from my Altair 8800

> On May 14, 2017, at 8:08 PM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:
>

> So what the heck.  Garage temp is in the 40's (it snowed last night--
> double ugh), so the 20-50 VR-1 was apparently so thick it took lots of
> minutes to drain into the sump where it could prime the pump and pressure
> the system. At least I think.

Seems really unlikely to me, unless something is clogging up the pushrod
tubes.  I've added straight 40 weight when there was snow on the ground.
Took a long time to flow from the bottles, but the sum of the pushrod tubes
should be quite a bit larger than the mouth of the bottle (so nothing piled
up in the rocker cover).

VR1 20W50 should be good to below -10F (-24C).  If you expect to start the
engine colder than that (!?), you might want to use 10W30 instead.

But I think you've got something else going on.

I did see a Ford 460 once where all the valve stem seals had broken and
blocked off several pushrod tubes.  But a TR3A doesn't have valve stem
seals, so that's not likely to be the issue.

-- Randall

** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive