[TR] Tranny Questions

Jim Henningsen trguy75 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:27:35 MDT 2017

List:
Diagnosing my new 1961 TR3A.  It has a non original A type OD tranny
installed 26 years ago at time of last restoration.  Box was rebuilt at time
of install.  Previous owner only put 2000 miles on it since resto.  OD
stopped working for him a couple of years ago and he never bothered to fix.

Two issues. One, when cruising at low speed in second gear, it pops back up
into neutral when you take foot off the gas.  Second issue is overdrive is
not engaging.  I just got the car up on jack stands and noticed tranny fluid
is leaking and low.  Would low tranny fluid cause second to pop out or that
is an internal gearbox issue?  Regarding the OD, I noticed the solenoid is
not engaging in and out with ignition switch on, car not running, gear in
third, and toggling the od switch on and off.  I do have power at the od
relay under dash and one of the leads from switch to relay goes on and off
with toggling of the switch.  So switch is working.  Unfortunately no power
to wire connected to relay that goes to solenoid.  The relay looks new.  The
solenoid looks old and I wonder if it is seized from non use.  Previous
owner did not drive it much.  Can I pull solenoid and wire and bench test it
by connecting power to wire connector?
Thanks for any advice.  Excited about the new acquisition and getting the
tranny sorted.  I am prepared to pull it and have club member check it out
if needed.  But might as well do easy checks while still in car.
Thanks,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala, FL
61 TR3A