[TR] Flywheel refacing

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Tue Jun 27 05:21:40 MDT 2017

On 6/26/2017 10:07 AM, EDWARD WOODS wrote:

> List,
>

> Is flywheel refacing an automatic when replacing the clutch on a TR6?
> I have always examined the flywheel surface and then made that
> decision based on that examination. A friend says that should
> automatically be part of the clutch job.

I think the first consideration should be condition of the flywheel, and
that's best determined by measuring total indicated runout at several
radii before disassembly.  A flywheel that's running true, but has a
burnished surface, probably requires no reconditioning.  A flywheel with
even a few waves or ripples of just a few thousandths in it is probably
going to make clutch engagement a bit more problematic and may increase
the clutch disc wear rate.

The second consideration is balance.  If the crank and flywheel are to
be balanced together, resurfacing is a prerequisite. If it's not done
beforehand, any future resurfacing will upset the balance, and if it is
done first, resurfacing will usually restore the assembly to proper balance.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....