[TR] Overheating issue

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Tue Jun 20 23:51:02 MDT 2017

I appreciate your thoughts and possible causes.  I'll address them below.

Old radiator with less than optimal connection between the core and fins.

New core and it was fully serviced a week ago.

Worn out water pump (poor flow).

Entire engine was rebuilt a year ago and I installed a new pump

Stuck thermostat.

We removed it

Clogged water passages in engine ( my tr2 had horrible scale blockage).

I've only run coolant in the engine, which has 5000 miles on it since rebuild.  Also, when on the flats in 95 degree temps, it ran perfectly at 190 degrees.  The hills seemed to push it over the top.

Bad radiator cap.

This is my #1 suspicion and I bought a new one today.  It feels more snug when screwed on.  Supposed to be hot tomorrow and I'm going to try to get it out for a drive with the new cap.

My favorite, electric fan blowing the wrng way (surprised at how often i see this)

checked that too, flowing the right direction

  Incorrect timing.

Freshly timed last week

 im sure ive missed some....

Keep us posted.