[TR] TR4A springs

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 9 06:50:08 MDT 2017

Dave,
Good to hear from you. Was hoping to see you again at Blackhawk but looks like you can’t make it. Maybe next years event wherever that is.
My upper control arms were modified by a local race shop made adjustable using Heim Joints. He has done several sets over the last few years for many of the Pittsburgh folks.

John,
Dave’s suggestion is a good one for the adjustable upper control arms should you go that way. Someone else mentioned that after buying what was advertised as original springs he returned them. That reminded me of my own experience with some aftermarket springs as I had the same result with some rear springs that I bought a long time ago.
In your original post you did not mention why you want to replace your original springs. Lets start there. What are you trying to accomplish? It just might be there is nothing wrong with your OE springs. In my case I wanted to lower the car, but the OE springs were fine after almost 50 years. I may still have those springs hanging around and if I do I’d send them to you for the price of the postage if you really need to replace yours.

So let’s keep discussing this and I’ll help you get to a conclusion. I’ve included a photo of my car with the 1” lower springs as a reference for how a TR4A looks when lowered a bit.

JVV