[TR] fender bolts

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 12:48:31 MDT 2017

Heat and wax is definitely worth a try as well as any penetrating fluid you can get in there, before trying wax. I'm not sure if fluid inhibits the wax, so it maybe one or the other, but not both.
If you can get it to move, tighten it back a little to expose the "clean" thread and shoot some more pen fluid in there. Cleaning any exposed threads with a wire brush to remove rust and dirt will help too.
On my TR3, I found that the nut in the cage would often spin before the bolt came loose. It's good to put a vise grip on the cage if you can get to them.
I ended up replacing 32 cages and nuts on my car during the resto. I replaced anyone that might be a problem during reassembly. I also chased every original caged nut and reassembled every bolt with anti-seeze.
Good luck,
Dave H.