[TR] Any recommendations on a good tap and die set

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Jan 24 15:00:59 MST 2017

I bought a Hanson/Ace super set (#6 through ½”, both coarse and fine) about 20 years ago. Still have it and use it. Most of the use is thread chasing but there is a fair amount of thread cutting, as well. I always use a tapping fluid (Tap Magic or similar) and I always rinse things off with carb or brake cleaner when I am done. You will probably be very disappointed with off-shore products if you are doing actual threading. You could also just get the individual tap that you need for a project. A single brand-name tap of the thread size that you need will be a better value than a whole set of low-quality items. I’ve never had any luck with any type of cutting edge tool from that national chain that rhymes with Darfur Fright.

Alex Thomson