[TR] TR4 + alternator + headers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 12:45:16 MST 2017

> I have to saw like 1/4" off of the rear face of the ear

> of the alternator for the pulleys to line up.

Just by way of contrast, one of my goals was to make no permanent
modifications to either alternator or car.  I had run my previous alternator
conversion until it was worn out, and it was a bit of a pain to have to
re-modify the replacement alternator to fit.  The only exception I made was
because the rear hole in the original generator mount was already waddled
out a bit, so I put a 3/8" bolt there instead of the original 5/16".

And FWIW, my FLAPS had the Suzuki alternator on the shelf.  Also, RockAuto
still has 3 left on closeout, at $37 outright (no core charge).  (Website
shows 4, but I just ordered one for a spare <g>)

I didn't measure, but the Suzuki unit seemed smaller to me than the Delco.
The mounting ears stick way out, so the mounting centers are similar, but
the body has to be at least 3/4" smaller in diameter and about that much
shorter as well.  The Ford Motorcraft I used before was very similar in size
to the Delco, and it would not go close enough to the engine for easy belt
changes, even after I cut a notch in the case and the engine front plate.

Here's a photo Chris sent to me, which perhaps shows the difference in size
better.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS13571L/Suzuki%20Swift%2
0alternator%20on%20TR4%20-%20MadMarx.jpg~original

-- Randall