[TR] TR4 + alternator + headers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 01:11:04 MST 2017

> So my question is : has someone with the TR3-4 engine with headers founds

> an alternator that fits?

I don't currently have headers, but the alternator I recently installed
leaves even more room at the rear than the generator does, so I'm sure it
would fit.  I got the tip from Christian "Mad" Marx (Thanks Chris!) to use
the alternator from a 89 Suzuki Swift.

Here's a bench comparison

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS13571L/DSCF0019_1024.jp

And how it looks on the car

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0001_2.jpg.htm

I made the mounts you see myself; but I believe the front mount could have
been cut down from a stock piece, and the back mount could have been made
from a length of 3/8" water pipe and a long bolt.  The stock pulley bore fit
the alternator perfectly, but I did have to modify the pulley a bit in the
lathe and use  a small spacer between it and the front bearing (so it would
clear the housing).  I believe Chris found an aftermarket pulley for his,
but I didn't try that.

FWIW, using the same cogged Gates belt as before, it's even easier to R&R
than with the generator.  I can actually work it into position with my
fingers, rather than having to crank the engine to walk it over the water
pump pulley as I did before.  All of the original wiring was left intact, I
just added a sub-harness from the alternator to the (internally stripped and
modified) control box.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0004_2.jpg.htm

-- Randall