[TR] why could my brother change gear in an old Triumph without using the clutch

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Mon Jan 16 21:58:13 MST 2017

You can do this is most any car with a manual
gearbox.  I've done it in my old VW beetle,
various cars my dad owned (VW Scirocco, Honda
Accord, probably even a van), certainly in my TR
race car occasionally when I had the synchro
box.  Drove home in my Miata with no clutch this
way.  Had to kill it at the traffic signals,
start up in 1st gear on the starter - leaving
plenty of room for the other traffic.

To get it out of the current gear you coast -
neither accelerate or decelerate.  To go to the
next gear (either up or down) in a synchro box I
hold it gently toward the gear I want to get into
while either revving up the engine (downshift) or
waiting for revs to drop (upshift).  When RPM's
match it just drops into gear.  Kinda fun.

In a dog box, the technique is completely
different.  With normal synchro box you want to
be very gentle with it.  Caress it into gear with
your hand and foot.  In a dog box you pretty much
slam it into gear.  It does NOT want you to be
gentle.  The dog box has no synchro that you need
to make it through by matching revs, and the
"dogs" don't like to slide against their
counterpart.  Think of a peg and a hole - when
you get over the hole you want to drop the peg
directly in, not slide over the top several
times.  You wear things less if you shift
quickly.  You can still use the clutch to lessen
driveline shock, definitely want to do the right
thing with the gas.  There's not much better
feeling than the 3 to 4 shift without the clutch
just a quick lift on the gas - I suppose holding
a slight powerslide through a fast turn ranks up there too.  :)

Regards, Tony Drews