[TR] why could my brother change gear in an old Triumph without using the clutch

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:48:18 MST 2017

I think he was probably using the synchros to mesh the gears.  Not too
difficult.

You can usually get it out of gear by finding that spot where the engine
and driveshaft are in sync - that is, the engine is not driving the
driveshaft nor is the driveshaft driving the engine - when they are matched
the box will easily slip out of gear.

You then get ready to select the gear you want but stop short of actually
trying to shift into it.  You get the engine speed close to right then
lightly press the gearshift while you hunt a little up and down with the
engine speed to find the exact spot.  When you find it that light pressing
of the stick will slip the stick right into gear.

At least, that's how I do it.

Actually a good thing to practice (IMO) sometime when you've got the road
to yourself -- as a hedge against the day when you have to drive home w/o a
clutch.

Geo