[TR] Stag front exhaust pipes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 10 17:10:50 MST 2017

>  I have a good pair of front pipes for a BW35  box. Can I take them to a
> muffler shop and have them modified or is this false economy?

IIRC the BW35 pipes are the same as non-OD manual.  If so, that is
effectively what I did, except I also had him replace the mufflers using
"Cherry Bomb" style round glasspacks.  The cost was very reasonable and best
of all, I didn't have to fight with rusty old pipes under the car.  I'm
quite pleased with the result; although I did go back a few months later as
one of his welds to modify the front pipes had broken loose.

Again IIRC, he didn't charge anything for modifying the front pipes, just a
small charge for materials over the cost of the mufflers.  (The muffler
price included installation.)

This was on the car, though.  I don't think I could have taken him just the
pipes.  I drove the car there with the front pipes supported by "baling"
wire and no mufflers at all.  Bit loud to say the least, but the shop is
only a few miles from my home and with very modest driving I was able to
avoid the interest of the police.

-- Randall