[TR] Sears to Sell the Iconic Craftsman Brand after 90 Years

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 20:49:28 MST 2017

> Still trying to digest this news, though. Thoughts anyone?​

Sears/K-mart has been dying for a long time, and I see no hope that they won't continue on the same path.  With the 150 stores that they've announced will close this year, they will be down to less than half the number of stores they had just 5 years ago.  But the closing stores don't seem to be losing any more money (on average per store) than the ones they are keeping, which implies that all of the stores are losing money about equally.  The total price for the Craftsman name is only a little more than the $750 million they lost last year, so the extra capital isn't going to keep the lights on much longer.

The quality of Craftsman tools has also been slipping pretty badly IMO; but I see some hope that Stanley will revive the name.

-- Randall