[TR] Does a TR-4 differential and axle fit a TR3A?

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 16:08:29 MST 2017

Hello, everyone.

Spent some quality time with the front apron on the TR3, so I could replace the key and fan hub that had come loose.  Then did the winter maintenance:  grease, oil change (engine/tranny/OD), packed wheel bearings, interior conditioning, etc.

Rear brakes show differential oil leaking into the drum.  Expect that means dropping the differential/axle to take to the machine shop to break apart, then install the new seal and put back the hub and so on.

Rather than drop mine, am thinking of getting a used one somewhere so I don't have to wait for it to be fixed to start driving.  Any advice whether I can fix the seal without going to the machine shop?  If no, might pick up a used differential/axle to rebuild, so what are the options:  would a TR4 fit?  (One is available on Craigslist locally.)

Thanks, everone,

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667

New Hampshire