[TR] Does a manual geatbox from a Stag share any components fromother Triumphs?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 12:31:17 MST 2017

> It looks like people are swapping out the carrier sleeve and replacing it
> with a longer one. Do other Triumphs share this?

Are you talking about the moving sleeve that carries the throw-out bearing?
If so, that sleeve is unique to the Stag AFAIK, several inches longer than
the one used on TR2-6.

> Does this gear box share gaskets and seal with other models?

Yes, I believe all the gaskets and seals are the same as TR6, except
possibly the speedometer drive.

> Should I change out the clutch release fork.  I removed the bolt holding
> it on the shaft, but it is stuck any recommendations on getting this off?

That "bolt" is actually a taper pin, which sometimes breaks between the
taper and the threads.  If what you pulled out didn't have 3/4" or so of
plain (unthreaded) taper at the end, then the tapered portion is still in
the shaft and preventing removal of the fork.

Two solutions:
1) Drill a 3/16" hole through the fork, in line with the axis of the pin.
The fork surface is at an angle, so center punch and start the drill
perpendicular to the surface.  Once it has penetrated a short distance, turn
and drill towards the pin.  Use a pin punch to drive the pin out.  You'll
probably have to wiggle and turn the fork to get the hole lined up.  The
fork can still be used with the hole in it.

2) Cut through the shaft with an angle grinder and cutoff blade (from HF)
and replace both shaft & fork.

Before reassembling, I suggest installing the fork & pin with the shaft out
of the gearbox (being certain to get them turned the right way, many of the
books show them wrong), and then drill a hole slightly smaller than 1/4"
through both shaft & fork, somewhat to the other side and at right angles to
the original pin.  There's a nice article at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ClutchShaft/ClutchShaft.htm
That shows how to do this.

Then after reinstalling the shaft, fork & pin in the gearbox (again being
sure to turn them the right way), tap a 1/4" bolt into the new hole.  I
forget the exact length, but you want one with an unthreaded shank long
enough to go into the fork on the other side but not stick out of it.
Install a nut and cut off the protruding end of the bolt.

> While the overdrive is in bits what should I look for?

The obvious stuff, mostly.  Broken parts, rough bearings.  There's a nice
series of articles at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD2/JOD2.htm

-- Randall