[TR] TR4 + alternator + headers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 00:35:09 MST 2017

> Is there any point in adding an inline fuse?

There is probably something to be said for that.  Two of the wires
effectively go directly to the battery, so a short is very likely to let the
smoke out.

But if the fuse in the output line pops (as they sometimes do), it is likely
to kill the diodes in the alternator.  So a fusible link might be a better
option.  First step would probably be to add a fusible link to the heavy
brown wire at the starter solenoid (which should then protect the heavy
gauge wiring to the ammeter as well as the alternator).

Plus a smaller in-line fuse for the small brown sense wire to the
alternator.

> Is 55 amps a lot to push
> through this wiring, thoughI have nothing that will draw that much
> current .

Yeah, it's on the high side; higher than many charts say is allowed.  But I
ran this setup on my former TR3A for 20 years and never had a problem with
wires overheating.  That was with a 65 amp alternator, and some added loads
to take advantage of it. (Roughly 20 amps for high power headlights, 15 for
the stereo, and 8 for the electric radiator fan, on top of the usual other
loads and whatever the MSD 6 box used.)
And of course the alternator should be going to full output right after
starting the engine, to replace what the starter took out of the battery.

> I'm surprised to find that the old belt is very tight and have to work it
> over the pulley before bolting the alt. in place. It then rides very close
> to the block and I begin to fuss about overheating the alternator.

That's odd.  Mine actually fit better than the stock generator, one of the
things I really like about the mini alternator.  With the generator, I
always had to turn the engine to work the belt over the last pulley; but
with the mini alternator I can do it with my fingers (and all the mounts
just slightly loose).  The larger alternator on the TR3A required taking the
mounting bolts out; which was a PITA especially when changing a belt on the
side of the road (and a hot engine).

I just measured the spare I got from Rock Auto; it's about 4-1/4" wide.  The
original early generator in the parts bin is 4-1/2", a later generator is
5".

Randall