[TR] TR4 + alternator + headers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 22:44:23 MST 2017

> The type 14977 fits very nicely using Randall's set-up.   I've not found

> however clear instructions how to splice it in to the control box wires.

There are various ways to accomplish that.  What I chose to do was to strip
the inside of a control box (not the original but a nice looking defective
from the junk bin) and add a heavy (8 AWG) jumper underneath between the A,
A1 and D terminals.  That way, the original wires to the A and A1 terminals
can remain as original.  The small yellow wire that originally ran from D to
the warning light on the dash gets moved to F.

I ran 4 wires from the alternator.  A heavy wire from the output post to the
'D' terminal on the control box (which is now linked to A and A1 through the
new jumper underneath the box).  That keeps the dash ammeter fully
functional.

Actually, in reality I switched the wires around on A, A1 and F.  In
retrospect, I think it would have been better to do as I outlined above.  So
do as I say, not as I do <G>

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS13571L/DSCF0004_2.jpg.htm

The 3 small terminals are identified as 'S', 'IG' and 'L' ("Type 3" in the
attached diagram).  It's possible that 'S' is not actually used (per Type 2)
but I wired it up anyway, to the hot post on the starter solenoid (using a
1/4" ring terminal).

'L' goes to terminal 'F' on the control box, which just serves as a tie
point to connect it to the yellow wire running to the warning light on the
dash.

And 'IG' goes to either A3 or A4 on the fuse block.  I opted for A4, but I
can't really make a good argument either way.

I noticed today, after the engine was a bit hard to start, that my original
ammeter has started sticking when it hits the peg.  So I'll be adding a
shunt to the back of the ammeter soon.  Since this alternator is only rated
45 amps, I'll try using 7" of 16 AWG, which should make it 45 amps full
scale instead of the original 30.  If that doesn't avoid the sticking, I'll
cut it down to 3.5", which is what I used before with a 60 amp alternator.

-- Randall