[TR] TR3 Steering wheel question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 17:09:34 MST 2017

> Is there a good tutorial somewhere on YouTube?   I have one that's pretty
> ratty as well.

I'm sure there is, but I just winged it.

Clean up the old material, remove anything powdery or loose, and as much
rust as possible.  I used a variety of techniques, including a wire brush in
the Dremel and squirting some phosphoric acid solution on the metal frame
under the rubber.  For narrow cracks, open the crack up using a coarse file
or mounted burr.

Then I wiped it down with first PPG DX330 "Acryli-clean" and a clean rag,
repeating until the rag stayed clean; then again with acetone.

Then I started adding layers of JB Weld (my favorite epoxy putty, no doubt
others would work as well), using some fiberglass strands as reinforcement
for the thicker areas.  JB Weld will sag if you try to apply it too thick,
so I limited each layer to maybe 1/16" or less.  After each layer, I let it
harden then sanded and filed down any high spots.  (The fiberglass strands
more or less refused to lay down smoothly, but sanded away easily.)  A
sanding drum on the Dremel was invaluable for doing the finger grips.  It's
a lot like doing body work with Bondo, just a different shape and material
(and a lot longer for the JB Weld to dry).

I had some VHT black spray vinyl dye on hand that I used for paint.
Probably Rustoleum would have worked as well.

It hasn't seen much use, but still looked good after a year of sitting in
Dad's shed; and getting rained on for 3 days during this year's show.  You
have to look carefully to find the places where there are still tooth marks
from the file showing; it feels just right to my hands.  The epoxy might be
just a smidgeon harder than the old hard rubber (or whatever it was), but I
can't tell the difference.

On the TR3 of course, I just laced on a custom leather cover from
Wheelskins.  Looks great and feels great.  Only $30 each plus $8 S&H (for
two covers) (tho that was a few years back) through eBay.  The measurements
I gave them were 16-7/8" by 2-5/16".

Or I believe Moss sells the same thing pre-made for about twice the price.

-- Randall