[TR] Car jack for Triumph Cars

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 28 17:01:25 MDT 2017

I do similar, but without the cross beam.  I have a simple 2 1/4 ton
floor jack from Harbor Freight that I think I paid $39 for about 20
years ago.  I have a thin wood block/pad and jack from the center of
front frame cross member which evenly jacks the front of the car.  I
then add jack stands and go to the back of the car.  I have a 2x4 block
with a channel and hole that I put on the cross member with the spare
tire hold down hook and jack the back of the car up and put on jack
stands.   This back block of wood puts the jack's force on the tubular
cross member instead of the tire hold down bolt.

Don't do this method if you have a rusty frame or are concerned about
the strength of that back cross member.  You have to remember to jack
the front up first and down last or else the jack doesn't fit due to the
angle of the car.

I'd love a real lift, but no way I can do that as I actually have living
area under my garage and not enough head room.

I did notice on some of the quicklift/Ezcarlift pictures that sometimes
they put they across the car width wise instead of length wise.  One of
the pictures was an old Mini.  Jacking this way lets you have the lifts
directly under the frame rails.

Brian
72 TR6, 73 GT6