[TR] TR3 Steering box

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 22 15:54:42 MDT 2017

> I've got some play in the steering box, what are the odds
> I'll just be able to replace the peg and bush in situ

You'll have to pull the box out of the car.  If you have a later 3A with the
split column, it is possible (just barely) to get the box out without
removing the front apron.  But after having done it, I honestly think
pulling the apron is easier!  For earlier cars with the solid column, there
is no choice, the apron must come off.

The worm does wear some, but the peg & bushing seem to wear faster.  I got a
lot of improvement just by replacing the peg & bushing, plus careful
adjustment afterwards.  Be careful when pressing the new peg into the arm,
it has to go in perfectly straight.

After trying a few other methods, I am convinced that the only accurate
method to set the worm end float is to add a shim, measure the end float
with a dial indicator; then remove the indicated amount of shims.

http://imgur.com/yUGNU5X

Setting the rocker shaft end float is a bit tricky too; if your worm is
worn, the tight spot may be off to the side of center (or there may even be
two of them).  Correct adjustment is when you can just feel the tight spot,
while turning the shaft with your fingers, no matter where it happens.
Obviously, this has to be done after setting the worm.

Worth noting, perhaps, that the steering box deliberately has some play when
away from center.  So it's also important that the car goes straight with
the box centered.

-- Randall