[TR] valve noise

Frank Magnusson fmags at cox.net
Mon Aug 21 17:43:43 MDT 2017

Hi Peter,

You might want to check for a broken valve spring.  I had that happen on a GT6.  Not terribly loud, but noticeably different.  Fortunately the keeper stayed intact and it did not swallow the valve.  Easy to change the spring.  Unfortunately I just replaced that spring, not all of them, and about 6 months later another one broke and this time the keeper came apart and it did swallow the valve.  Fortunately, it stayed in the guide, so it just slightly bent the valve.  Not sure if it damaged the piston or not.  When it swallowed the valve, of course it was so loud, I shut the engine down immediately.

Just pull off the rocker box cover and take a look around.  Perfectly fine to run it that way in the shop and you may be able to see whats going on.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Sent from my iPad