[TR] Warming up in the morning

Fisher, Ed edwd at ti.com
Thu Apr 20 15:24:56 MDT 2017

Golly, that was one inspirational film.  It looks just like my car, that I've never driven, even the same color.  She sits patiently in the attached garage, turned sideways to fit in there, while I have found numerous other things to tend to over the years, volunteer work being the most recent.  Oh, a little time has been spent Triumph related; I learned to powder coat with the help of the selfless Fred Thomas, read a fantastic book written by Jonmac who even autographed a copy and mentioned my son, now grown and gone.  Rene' learned a lot about the kindness of relative strangers from this list.  I even posted a couple of things when I thought I had something to offer, which was rare.

It has been many years that I've been on here listening, learning, grieving, and yes, laughing at the good-natured camaraderie that is often displayed.  I've even felt guilty as I read of others looking for a bit, or a rust-free piece, or even a frame that isn't eaten away.  Here I sit with a car that has not a speck of rust anywhere and I haven't done a darned thing with it for years other than fog the cylinders on what was supposed to be a fresh rebuild when I bought it and spin it over now and again.  She needs seats, the ones in there aren't from the car, and she needs a mirror, and side-curtains and a top, but other than that it is all complete.  That isn't far to go judging by what some of you have overcome.  My cheeks get red just typing it to you.  Oh, it was going to be tended to right after the 1968 Camaro convertible got restored, which is still in pieces.  Working 60-70 hour weeks at TI and now building houses every Saturday sure doesn't give me much time it seems.  So I told myself I'd get to it all when I retire, after all, it wasn't going anywhere was it?  Now I find at the age of 59+ that I run out of steam a little quicker, and I have a woman in my life now that I actually get along with and as such we do things together, as in unforced joyful things.  I like her so much I even married her last August.  I guess in my defense we do cruise now and again in a Jaguar convertible (1995) just to get an ice-cream or look at flowers and such.  I've not given up my love for driving even after 30+ years of sitting in daily traffic that can squeeze your soul.

This weekend I sold off one of the collection, a 1989 Honda CRX Hf, very nearly show quality and bone stock.  It may not mean much to this crowd, but they are as scarce as hens teeth, fun to drive, and get 40+ mpg.  It went to a good home and it was time to thin the herd.  My new wife deserved an honest-to-goodness parking spot, not that she ever uttered a sound of complaint.  So I had been wondering if I shouldn't just start downsizing, have a few less maintenance projects on top of the 3 acres to tend,  you know?  And then there is a video, with sound, and a guy that looks kinda like me, though much more rugged and handsome, and he has carved out some time to take a little run.  I don't know how to dig out yet, but the film sure was inspirational...

Tomorrow I'm taking off work to pick up litter in an inner-city Dallas park with a bunch of other volunteers in honor of Earth Day.  This too, alas, is near and dear to my heart, both the day and the cleanup.  I'm gonna find the balance someday, but until I do please keep the videos coming.

Still,

Ed in Dallas