[TR] tr-3 rear motor bearing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 16 23:28:04 MDT 2017

> I'm pretty sure that I didn't pound enough soaked felt around the bearing
> when installing and my question is for those more experienced than I am:
> Is it possible to pound more felt in from the bottom up rather than pull
> the engine?  I'm sure it would be a heck of a sloppy job if possible but I
> dread pulling an engine on a newly restored car.

Certainly possible (I've even changed the rear main bearing with the engine
in the car).

But I'm wondering how effective it will be unless you find a way to clean
out the existing felt and shellac.  Done properly, the felt and shellac
setup to a hard mass that is effectively glued to both the block and cap.
If you have voids from not installing enough felt, and have to move existing
felt (with dried shellac) to fill those voids, I'm not sure how well the
"glue bond" would reform.

So while I've not tried it myself, I would probably run a drill bit or
something into the channels, to clean out the old mess and add new.

Either way, don't forget to use plenty of shellac (I like Permatex Aviation)
on the new felt and tamp it down until you have shellac oozing out.

-- Randall