[TR] TR4A Aluminium Head

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Tue Apr 4 23:44:46 MDT 2017

On 4/4/2017 6:24 PM, Randall wrote:

> Check liner protrusion on both sides, and preferably get it near the top of
> the range in the book.  I would be tempted to try my "fire ring" trick as
> well.  Strictly mickey-mouse, but it's worked well for me on two motors now
> that I couldn't keep sealed otherwise (low liner protrusion on one side).

One niggle in all this....  IIRC, the heads produced of this type had
one big failing.  They were, IIRC, dimensionally the same as the iron
heads, and simply did not have the mechanical strength of the
originals.  They blew head gaskets because the mating surface deformed
rather than pressing down uniformly on the cylinders. Aluminum has
somewhat more ductility than cast iron, so the heads were tolerant of
more deformation before cracking, but the down side of that is they
didn't seal well.

So, if anything, to minimize that distortion, I'd try to get the liner
protrusion down to the lower end of the range and find a more forgiving
head gasket.

I think Kas lamented, a few years back, why no one had done any aluminum
repros of the cylinder heads, and this is likely the reason.  The design
would have to be modified considerably to make it strong enough.
Aluminum cylinder heads work just fine in other applications where the
mating surfaces are true to each other, but those wet sleeves sticking
up are a problem.  An aluminum cylinder head, to be strong enough, to
have enough beam strength, would have to look considerably different
than stock.  (The alternative would be to cast the head with a different
material, say, a suitable alloy of aluminum bronze, which has nearly the
mechanical strength of cast iron, but with nearly the same heat transfer
properties of aluminum.  The down side of that is that bronzes are
notoriously difficult to cast in complicated sections by conventional
means because they tend to be pretty gassy, and the alternative,
investment casting, is a good deal more expensive.  But, someone with
access to a  5-axis CNC machine and a few hunks of machinable wax could
probably come up with a cylinder head worth the effort.  A cross-flow
head that was strong enough that corrected a few flaws in the bathtub
chambers, along with fixing the thin spots that have to be pinned after
milling, and better ports, etc., would be a real winner.)

Cheers, Randall.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....