[TR] coil questions

Sujit Roy triumphstag at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:12:42 MDT 2017

I have a spare coil dated '73.  Has technology changed so much that I
should discard this and when needed buy a modern one?

There are so many vendors claiming hi tech coils. Is this a load of baloney?

My Stag has a ballast resistor so for starting a full 12 v is supplied to
the coil on general running 6 volts is used. Am I killing my coil by
spiking it with 12 volts?

The resistance of the coil is specked at 1.5 ohoms.

If I remove the ballast resistor and just supply 12 volts all the time,
should I now get a 3 Ohm resistance coil?

Based on the current and calculations below, this sort of make sense. Am I
right?

V=I xR
12 = I x 3 I = 4A
6v = I x 1.5 I =4A