[TR] J type overdrive questions

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 2 18:14:49 MDT 2017

> The bits that I found are breaking off the outside of the cone clutch. The

> inside material of the cone clutch is is good shape.  I am not sure what

> this does, but is this an integral part of the cone or do I need to look

> for a new cone?

The outside lining is the overdrive clutch.  Inside is the direct drive
clutch, which doesn't work nearly as hard (so more wear on the outside is
normal).  But I would still be sure to check the operating pressure against
the Stag spec (480-500 psi), as it may be on the low side (allowing the OD
clutch to slip more than it should under some circumstances).  (TR6 spec is
only 430-460 psi, which I suspect reflects lower max torque available from
the 2.5L engine than the Stag 3.0L)

The linings are a separate piece (obviously), but are supposed to be
machined after installation to both be concentric and just the right taper.
Not too hard if you have a lathe big enough to swing the clutch ring, but
otherwise it's probably best to buy a professionally reconditioned (relined)
cone.

Several vendors sell relined cones.  TRF has them listed for $275; might be
a little cheaper from ORS in the UK (but be sure to factor in S&H).  I
expect John Esposito sells them too.

> One of the gears in the planet carrier assembly is rocking from side to

> side.  It looks like I need to get another assembly.

> Can the carriers be disassembled?

Yes, but it may not be much help.  I've only done it on an A-type, but I
believe the J-type is much the same in this area (except for the removal and
subsequent renewal of the oil slinger).  There is a short shaft that goes
through each of the planetary gears and engages the carrier on both sides of
the gear.  In one end of that shaft is a small lock pin.  My book shows that
you can pry the lock pin out on a J-type, but on the A-type it has to be
drilled out.  Then the shaft should slide out (perhaps with a bit of
encouragement).  The lock pin should be replaced too (according to the
book).

BTW, the J-type book I have is from Volvo, but is much more complete than
the Triumph shop manuals are.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffMDJjZWU5ZGQtYWJhMi00ODkwLTlmNT
MtZDE4YTZjNTRhOTZi

There are a pair of roller bearings inside each planetary gear that can be
replaced.  But if they have failed, the bore of the gear may be ruined as
well.

> I have photos here.

> https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOzam_EJGbRggiszfc_pNgPj53poWqSis4NlR

> Vs

> <https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOzam_EJGbRggiszfc_pNgPj53poWqSis4Nl

Sorry, the link doesn't work for me.  But I'm guessing that the bad
planetary bearing has something to do with it.  Those bearings are what
basically carry the carrier, a bad bearing would let it wander to that side.

-- Randall