[TR] radiator, fan and what else

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Apr 1 19:03:24 MDT 2017

> -          Rad fan, ok I have lived with the stock and ugh L I have a
> pusher fan on the rad but can the stock on be removed altogether?  Or do I
> need to get a elimination kit? Or get something else?

I've been running with a home-made "elimination kit" for many years.  At
first I used just a heavy flat washer, but that didn't work out on the TR3
motor I had in my 3A because the washer hit the crank nose before it came up
tight on the pulley hub.  The hub eventually worked loose.  So, I made a
somewhat more complicated "eliminator" that fit around the crank nose to
rest only on the hub and that seemed to work OK for quite a few years.  I
moved the same setup to my current TR3 motor in 2009.

But I found something very strange last week, that may or may not be
related.  I'd been hearing what sounded like the ghost of a rod knock for
several months; thought it just meant it was time for new rod bearings.  But
the oil pressure was still pretty good, so I was planning to put it off
until fall.  Well, last week the noise suddenly got a lot worse, and the oil
pressure dropped by another 20 psi or so.  Believe it or not, I have a
broken crankshaft!

What's weird is that it's broken right next to the front main bearing, where
I would think stress would be about minimum.  No torque to speak of, just
whatever it takes to drive the alternator, water pump & camshaft.  People
have been saying for a long time that there is a nasty resonance just
slightly above stock redline, but I almost never buzz the engine up that
high.  (Dyno showed my engine is already past peak power at 4500 rpm.)

I don't have it apart yet, so I may find something else wrong or an obvious
casting flaw in the crankshaft (that only took 60 years to break??).  But
right now I'm thinking it might be a real good idea to install the harmonic
dampener I got from BFE on the new crank.

> -          The steering box is all greased up, I think there is probably
> more on the outside than inside, any suggestions on sealing?

If it's leaking out the bottom, I would for sure replace the bushing and
seal down there.  IMO it is wear in that bushing that gives the TR3 it's
reputation for steering like a truck.  When I finally replaced mine, years
ago, I definitely wondered why I hadn't done so sooner!  The difference in
steering was remarkable!  (Of course, as usual, I made some other changes at
the same time, so I can't prove it was all due to that bushing; but I still
feel it was at least a major contributing factor.)

Using gear oil instead of grease (I use full synthetic GL5 from Valvoline)
will also reduce steering effort.

If it's leaking out the front, you probably don't have the right nut &
sleeve.  Unfortunately I don't know of a source for replacements, except to
find another box and rob it.  Modern equivalents don't fit properly.  (BTW,
the original sleeve is split for easier removal.)

While the apron is off is also a good time to go through the steering box
adjustments (even if you don't replace any components).  In my experience,
it's almost impossible to get it "just right" on the car.  I used a dial
indicator to check end play (add a shim, check end play, remove shims equal
or slightly greater than the measurement).  Seems to be more accurate than
other methods I've tried (doing it "by feel" left .004" of slop as measured
by the indicator, feeler gauges were worse).

> -          Something else?  She has had maybe 2500miles on a fresh engine
> and then "stored" for 12years.   So all fluids are going to be replaced,
> anything else to look for?

I put a modern radiator cap (3/4" reach instead of the stock 1" reach) and
coolant recovery bottle on mine.  Obviously not for purists, but I really
like having the coolant level stay right at the filler cap, unless I have a
leak.  Before I was always wondering if I was losing coolant or not.  And
after installing the bottle, I've discovered several small leaks (now that I
know for sure when I'm losing coolant).

I used the bottle & bracket from a later Triumph, which just fits down
between the radiator and inner fender.  You have to be a contortionist to
even see that it's there with the apron in place!
https://goo.gl/BqXMC5

Few more ideas at https://goo.gl/1PDIIM

-- Randall