[TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 20:55:54 MDT 2016

> The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while moving
> the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and neutral.
> The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. Any
> ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop owner
> suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutch.
> Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment at
> the lever?

I must be missing something.  If the clutch works, why do you think it is a
clutch problem?

I would check the nut on the side, someone may have loosened it thinking it
was the fill plug or something (it actually retains part of the reverse
shift mechanism).  If so, there is a slim chance that tightening it back up
will pull the lever into place and let you shift out of reverse.

Otherwise, I think it best to disconnect the driveshaft until you can rescue
it from the paint shop on a flatbed.  The "pop the clutch" idea sounds like
a great way to make a bad situation worse!

My sympathies, as IMO pulling the transmission on a Stag is a miserable job.
That's partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!

Randall