[TR] Out of the box

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 09:16:27 MDT 2016

Hi List!I've removed my TR4A's tranny many different ways, & this was one way.HOW: You have a cherry picker (Eng. remover), a 2" pipe about the length of the tranny, GOOD (climbing) rope, a 2.5" rad.hose clamp, a GOOD (like a crane hook) Hook to lock onto the cherry picker's hook. You attach the rad clamp to hold the hook in the balandance pt of the pipe. Rap the rope around the tranny & pipe that's direct over the tranny. SUGGESTION: Have about  foot of distance of the pipe & the top of the tranny. Now with the tranny disconnected from engine, then just move the tranny back to disconnect the tranny's input shaft from the Engine's Spot bearing, & lift the tranny up. now just slide the cherry picker away from the car's door ti away from car 7 lower on to you wheel carrier to the spot of place to work on the tranny.
NOTE!: I did this when transferring my TR4A's OD tranny with the toyota 5 speed tranny that was heaver than the OD Tranny. I found to install the 5 spd tranny was a BIG PITA for one to joining the tranny to the eng. I like pulling the engine & tranny as one to work on the tranny. Now you can clean out the engine's bay also, plus making joining the tranny (of choice) to the engine a piece of cake.-Cosmo Kramer