[TR] chrome paint

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Thu Sep 1 11:01:18 MDT 2016

TeriAnn:  I appreciate the feedback, but let me give you an example of where
a chrome substitute would be a reasonable alternative.

I currently have three small-mouth TR3s.  All have grilles which would not
be suitable for a high-quality restoration.  I recently took one to two
chrome shops and both said the grilles did not lend themselves to
rechroming.  Don't ask me why, but it was something to do with all the
surfaces and angles making it difficult to strip and then re-chrome.

A new grille costs around $250 from the usual sources but the fit is
terrible.  Given the difficulty of altering the grille without damaging the
chrome, one then has to reconfigure the nosepiece (something I'd hate to do
to a well-preserved front clip).  If there was something I could do to
restore these old grilles, I'd definitely go for it - and the responses to
my question have contained many good suggestions.

Andrew