[TR] chrome paint

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:49:45 MDT 2016

Chrome paint???? How could you guys be seriously discussing painting the
chrome bits of a half century old (give or take) Triumph?  It is
something I would imagine a kid might do with a rusty old car that had
one foot in the wrecking yard and the other almost there. That is so
tacky. A race to the bottom of the resale value.

When I was living on the coast rust spots would appear on brand new Moss
chrome bumpers within a couple months of new.  I finally solved the
problem with stainless steel bumper & bumperettes. I got mine off ebay
from a guy that was retailing them there. They were a product of Mexico
with a very high quality finish on a stainless alloy that looks
identical to chrome. About 10 years later they still look like new and
even close up they look like chrome.  20 years ago when I rebuilt my TR
I removed all the smaller chrome bits and took them to a local Harley
Davidson shop that specialized in creating custom Harleys. I figured
they would have the highest quality chrome work done and were plugged
into the best chrome shop they could find.  The parts came back perfect
and have never picked up a spot of rust.

Paint the chrome bits? geesh

TeriAnn