[TR] Weird Problem

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 13:58:54 MDT 2016

Probably a bad connection somewhere, most likely one of the battery posts.

There's a gizmo they sell at most auto parts stores that has two wire brushes, one for the posts and one for the clamps.  About $4 last time I noticed one.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS01/01401/N0355.oap?ck=Search_N0355_-1_3062&pt=N0355&ppt=C0061

Remove both battery clamps and use the brushes to clean the mating surfaces until they are clean and bright, then put it back together.  Chances are good that will fix the problem.

Of course, there are lots of other possibilities, including having left the lights on.  I would start my troubleshooting by turning on the light switch, and then connecting a test lamp or voltmeter/DMM directly across the tops of the battery terminals.  If you find juice there, the battery isn't the issue.

I have had a battery fail that way (and in fact it "fixed itself" while I was carrying it to the store for replacement).  Evidently a broken conductor inside the case.  But it's not a common thing.

And I can't count how many times I've seen it happen at a battery clamp.  When I was young, someone even showed me how to take a pocket knife and jam it into the juncture of clamp and post, for a (very) temporary repair.

-- Randall