[TR] TR3 timing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 3 15:31:28 MDT 2016

> What is the consensus for STROBE LIGHT timing for small mouth
> TR3?  87mm pistons, headers, cam.
>
> I really need to know . and I feel stupid that I don't
> already know the answer.

I think the consensus is "don't do it".  The stock distributor has a centrifugal advance mechanism that starts way down low (below
idle rpm for most of us) and isn't very precise; so the preferred method is to use static timing to get it running, then take a
drive to make final adjustments.

But if you have to use a light, set it to about 8 BTDC, which is about 3/8" away from the hole in the front pulley (assuming it is
at TDC as it should be).

Randall