[TR] Moss Steering Rack Security Mount

Peter K kentech0822 at myfairpoint.net
Mon May 2 17:54:54 MDT 2016

From: David Friedlander <forzion7 at gmail.com>
To: ptegler at verizon.net
Cc: TR3 Triumphs <triumphs at autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Moss Steering Rack Security Mount

I installed the Moss High-ratio steering rack (P/N 667-177) in my
TR6 some years ago, with no issues (they made no mention of not
recommending solid mounts, at that time, but they do now). I don't
autocross my car and have not replaced the rack...

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=63907

So, if these racks are unsafe, or, if Moss "feels there's potential
litigation"
associated with their use,  how is it Moss still sells them?

Dave

Hi all,

In 2015, Moss sent a notice to purchasers (from their records) of the quick rack indicating that the then current model 667-175 was “not suitable for racing purposes” after they were made aware of problem with the racks potentially separating at the mounts on the race track. Their remedy was to replace the racks with a new stronger built rack “built to the same specification as a standard ratio” rack. The new part number reflected the change.

p/n 667-177 is the new stronger built q/r rack. p/n 667-175, 667-185 (Spit, GT6) are the original p/ns.

So check your receipt, not the catalog to be sure that you have the newer rack. If not call Tech Services 805-681-3411 They replaced mine for free, paid shipping both ways, and paid for my trouble.

Be safe, PeterK