[TR] O/D update

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 14:17:29 MDT 2016

Just talked to British Motorsports regarding progress on my OD.  I forwarded all the emails that were sent to me over the weekend, thank you for that input.  Some were pretty basic, some were a lot more detailed and in-depth.  They read through all of them and have already checked everything mentioned more than once, and they will be checking again.

Some he commented were very basic, such as eliminating the solenoid from the system by manually shifting with the lever which they did on day 1, to checking all the pistons, housings, etc for dirt and scratches, which they did on day 2.

If I've got this all correct, trying to take notes on the phone while he was reviewing everything with me, they've replaced the pistons and housings twice. On the pistons there are some that have O-rings and some that have some sort of steel O-rings, not sure if this is on the pump or accumulator, but they've tried both combinations.  They've swapped out springs, shims, check balls, etc.  One note I have here about the accumulator is they've tried two sets of pumps and operating pistons.  Where possible they've replaced everything in a system at least twice.

He mentioned to me a week ago, and someone else mentioned it in an email, if there is any kind of crack or something down in a journal in the casting where it can't be seen, that could be causing the problem.  He's going to check a few more things while the transmission is still in the car, then take it out again and try to rig up some sort of pressure test.

Speaking of pressure test, he mentioned a test they did with about 120 psi air into the pumps and all the pistons moving.  Those of you who know about transmissions probably know what that would be.

Anyway, so far no luck finding the problem. Any other ideas let me know.

Thanks,

Rye