[TR] Overdrive issues

hdrider570 at att.net hdrider570 at att.net
Fri Jun 10 19:04:40 MDT 2016

When I had this problem with a J type OD, it was wear in the pump
piston/bore.  This pump uses no seals so I expect that your mechanics
are talking about the accumulator piston(s).  Basically when the
piston/bore wears the clearances increase which allows oil to bypass the
piston resulting in lower pressure.  One thing that I noticed was that
the slippage was more pronounced once the OD warmed up thus reducing the
viscosity of the oil.

I expect that a worn drive pin in the piston could cause a similar
problem by shortening the piston sweep.

Bottom line is if you are not getting enough oil pressure, it is a
hydraulic problem which is either not enough supply (pump wear?) or
excessive losses somewhere such as bad piston seals etc.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA